A curated list of awesome CircuitPython guides, videos, libraries, frameworks, software and resources.
CircuitPython is Adafruit’s branch of MicroPython designed to simplify experimentation and education on low-cost microcontrollers. It makes it easier than ever to start prototyping by requiring no upfront desktop software downloads. With CircuitPython you can write clean and simple Python code to control hardware instead of having to use complex low-level languages like C or C++ (what Arduino uses for programming). It’s great for beginners!
CircuitPython.org is the first stop on the information snake highway. Here you can see all the supported boards and download the specific firmware for each one, including beta, latest, and previous versions. Downloads can be sorted by: maker, features, name, and more. At this time there are over 50 boards supported in the CircuitPython family!
All supported boards may be viewed at circuitpython.org to include descriptions, pictures, and compatible CircuitPython builds. A summary of current boards on circuitpython.org:
- Adafruit CircuitPython boards - Adafruit Circuit Playground Express, Adafruit Feather M0 Basic, Adafruit Feather M0 Express, Adafruit Feather M0 Adalogger, Adafruit Feather M0 RFM9x, Adafruit Feather M0 RFM69, Adafruit Feather M4 Express, Adafruit Feather nRF52832, Adafruit Feather nRF52840 Express, Adafruit Gemma M0, Adafruit Grand Central M4 Express, Adafruit HalloWing M0 Express, Adafruit ItsyBitsy M0 Express, Adafruit ItsyBitsy M4 Express, Adafruit Metro M0 Express, Adafruit Metro M4 Express, Adafruit NeoTrellis M4, Adafruit Trinket M0, Adafruit PyPortal, Adafruit pIRkey, Adafruit Feather Huzzah, Adafruit PyBadge, Adafruit Metro M4 AirLift Lite, Adafruit Gemma M0 PyCon 2018, Adafruit Circuit Playground Express Digi-Key, Adafruit Circuit Playground Express 4-H, Adafruit Circuit Playground Express + Crickit, Adafruit Feather M0 Express + Crickit.
- Arduino - Arduino MKR WAN 1300, Arduino MKR Zero, Arduino Zero.
- Electronic Cats - CatWAN USB Stick, Meow Meow.
- MakerDiary - nRF52840 Micro Dev Kit, nRF52840 Micro Dev Kit USB Dongle.
- Nordic Semiconductor - nRF52840 DK board PCA10056, nRF52840 Dongle PCA10059.
- Particle - Particle Argon, Particle Boron, Particle Xenon.
- Benjamin Shockley - Mini SAM M4.
- Radomir Dopieralski - PewPew, μGame.
- SparkFun - SparkFun Pro nRF52840 Mini, SparkFun SAMD21 Mini, SparkFun SAMD21 Dev, SparkFun Pro nRF52840 Mini, SparkFun SAMD21 Dev, SparkFun RedBoard Turbo, SparkFun LumiDrive.
- Dave Astels - Feather M0 Supersized, Trinket M0 Haxpress.
- Max Holliday - KickSat Sprite, SAM32.
- Itaca Innovation - uChip
Adding new boards to the CircuitPython list on circuitpython.org: Please do a pull request on GitHub at https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython. CircuitPython developers may help get the correct pin data and other information to map a new board.
CircuitPython sensors and accessories - Complete listing of sensors, LCDs, displays, robotics, breakout boards, and more.
python.digikey.com - Digi-Key electronics has a listing of all Python-supported boards on their site in one location including CircuitPython and MicroPython boards.
- Weekly community chat on Adafruit Discord server CircuitPython channel - Audio / Podcast edition - Audio from the Discord chat space for CircuitPython, meetings are usually Mondays at 2pm ET, this is the audio version on iTunes, Pocket Casts, Spotify, and XML feed.
- Python on hardware weekly video cast - The wonderful world of Python on hardware! This is our video-newsletter-podcast of all things Python and electronics! The news comes from the Python community, discord, Adafruit communities and more. It’s part of the weekly newsletter, then we have a segment on ASK an ENGINEER and this is the video slice from that! This video podcast is on iTunes, YouTube, IGTV (Instagram TV), and XML.
- PyCon 2019 conference - May 1 - 9, 2019, Cleveland, Ohio. Digi-Key and Adafruit have teamed up for PyCon 2019 so every attendee (about 4,000!) will receive a SPECIAL EDITION Circuit Playground Express, running … CircuitPython.
This effort is to get Python on hardware to the most folks out there, at the events that bring people together.
This is just one of many efforts we’re teaming up with Digi-Key to continue to fuel all the developers from beginners to pro, using Python on microcontrollers - Adafruit & planning doc.
What else is happening? The CircuitPython team will be running several Open Spaces sessions (as they did last year), showing how to use CircuitPython on the Digi-Key / Adafruit PyCon special edition Circuit Playground Express. We’ll have extra addons to play with also: potentiometers, NeoPixel strips, and servos. The team will be running a CircuitPython Sprint for several days to work on CircuitPython libraries and CircuitPython core code. BYOMUSB “Bring your own Micro USB” cables, we’ll have some to borrow during the sprints/sessions, as well as some USB C adapters, good idea to bring one too!
Contributions and suggestions are always welcome! Please make pull requests to modify Awesome CircuitPython.
License & Trademarks
To the extent possible under law, the authors have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.