TTGO T8 ESP32-S2
The TTGO T8 ESP32-S2 development board has useful features like the microSD card slot or the option to run the board with battery power. This board is very similar to the TTGO T8 ESP32-S2 ST7789 just without the display.
- ESP32-S2 240 MHz Tensilica processor
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz
- 4 MB FLASH
- 8 MB PSRAM
- microSD card slot
- built in battery charging, 2-pin 1.25 mm JST connector
- on/off power switch
- reset and boot button
- onboard 32.768 kHz crystal oscillator
- USB-C connector
To flash this image use this command:
esptool.py --chip esp32s2 --port (COMPORT) \ --baud 115200 write_flash 0x000 \ adafruit-circuitpython-lilygo_ttgo_t8_s2-xx_XX-X.Y.Z.bin
After flashing change the DIP switches (the ones closer to the USB-C connector) to OTG mode, when reconnected you should see the
USB OTG On On o o o o o o o o 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
Have some info to add for this board? Edit the source for this page here.
This is the latest unstable release of CircuitPython that will work with the TTGO T8 ESP32-S2.
Unstable builds have the latest features but are more likely to have critical bugs.
Built-in modules available: adafruit_bus_device, adafruit_pixelbuf, aesio, alarm, analogio, atexit, audiobusio, audiocore, audiomixer, binascii, bitbangio, bitmaptools, board, busio, canio, countio, digitalio, displayio, dualbank, errno, fontio, framebufferio, frequencyio, getpass, gifio, i2cperipheral, imagecapture, ipaddress, json, keypad, math, mdns, microcontroller, msgpack, neopixel_write, nvm, onewireio, os, paralleldisplay, ps2io, pulseio, pwmio, qrio, rainbowio, random, re, rgbmatrix, rotaryio, rtc, sdcardio, sharpdisplay, socketpool, ssl, storage, struct, supervisor, synthio, terminalio, time, touchio, traceback, ulab, usb_cdc, usb_hid, usb_midi, vectorio, watchdog, wifi, zlib
Every time we commit new code to CircuitPython we automatically build binaries for each board and language. The binaries are stored on Amazon S3, organized by board, and then by language. Try them if you want the absolute latest and are feeling daring or want to see if a problem has been fixed.
All previous releases are listed on GitHub, with release notes, and are available for download from Amazon S3. They are handy for testing, but otherwise we recommend using the latest stable release. Some older GitHub release pages include the same binaries for downloading. But we have discontinued including binaries as assets on newer release pages because of the large number of files for each release.
Install, Repair, or Update UF2 Bootloader
Latest version: 0.9.0
The UF2 bootloader allows you to load CircuitPython, MakeCode, and Arduino programs. The bootloader is not CircuitPython. If a UF2 bootloader is installed, you can check its version by looking in the INFO_UF2.TXT file when the BOOT drive is visible (FTHRS2BOOT, MAGTAGBOOT, HOUSEBOOT, etc.)
It is not necessary to reinstall a UF2 bootloader you unless a BOOT drive is not visible when in UF2 bootloader mode, or you know of a problem with your current UF2 bootloader.
If a UF2 bootloader has never been installed on the board, or the UF2 bootloader was removed by erasing or overwriting the flash, the UF2 bootloader must be installed in order to flash .uf2 files onto the board. .bin files can be uploaded without a UF2 bootloader, using the ESP Web Flasher or esptool.py.
Note: update.uf2 files are not currently working on ESP32-S2 boards.
Important: this will erase previously flashed firmware and sketches from the board, but needs to be perfomed only once.
- Unzip to find the file combined.bin.
- Place board in bootloader mode:
- Plug board into a USB port on your computer using a data/sync cable. Make sure it is the only board plugged in, and that a charge-only cable is not being used.
- Press and hold down the BOOT or 0 button.
- Press and release the RESET or RST button.
- Release the BOOT button.
- Upload combined.bin (Google Chrome 89 or newer):
- Open ESP Web Flasher in a new window/tab.
- Select 460800 Baud from the pull-down menu (top-right).
- Click Connect (top-right).
- Select the COM or Serial port from the pop-up window.
- After successful connection, click Erase.
- After successful erase, click any Choose a file..., then locate and select the combined.bin file unzipped earlier.
- After successfully choosing combined.bin, click Program.
- After the TinyUF2 firmware update is complete, press the RESET button on the board. A new drive BOOT should be visible in your file browser.
After you update, check INFO_UF2.TXT to verify that the bootloader version has been updated. Then you will need to load or reload CircuitPython using the .uf2 file.